Interaction Design Director
- Commitment: Full-time
- Location: New York
- Team: Design
Interaction Design Director
Method is an international design firm specialized in creating brand, product and service design experiences. From our offices in San Francisco, New York and London, we serve clients – ranging from start-ups to household brand names – that expect a collaborative, engaging process and end-to-end solutions that are equally smart and beautiful.
The Interaction Design (IxD) practice focuses on crafting strategies and design solutions centered on the user for interactions that occur at any scale – from the single web or mobile screen to large-scale, complex systems that evolve over time. As a global design practice, the Interaction Design team is comprised of a diverse set of professionals with backgrounds such as research, strategy, graphic design, industrial design, product development, marketing and technical development. What these professionals have in common is empathy for the human condition, love for experimenting with technology, a strong aesthetic viewpoint, and a mind for the realities of business.
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates your systems thinking and core skills across a variety of client categories and interactive design formats & methodologies, e.g. websites, software applications, mobile/tablet UI and apps, TV set-top box, interactive walls, touch/voice/gesture-based interaction models
- 8-12 years prior work with at least 5 years management experience in a related role
- Solid academic background in a related field, such as Design, Communication or Psychology, or commensurate work experience; advanced degree a plus
- Eloquent verbal/written communication & presentation skills, with the ability to successfully articulate design concepts to your team and your client
- Effective time management skills to balance project schedule with fast-paced deadlines
- Enthusiasm for the digital design industry & technology at large
Research & Strategy Skills:
- Ability to conduct key business stakeholder & key user interviews to understand requirements and insights that shape product strategies and design decisions
- Experience planning and hosting collaborative workshops, user research and/or usability testing and conducting comparative/competitive landscape and content audits
- Ability to create user experience goals and conceptual frameworks; user personas, related key user journeys and relevant flowcharts; information architecture and, as necessary, content strategies
Design & Technical Skills:
- Innovative interaction design solutions, exhibited in wireframes, annotations/specification documentation, and prototypes
- Strong ability to think visually and collaborate seamlessly with Visual Designers as it pertains to both interactive & style element discussions
- Strong ability to think technically and collaborate seamlessly with Technologists as it pertains to understanding the benefits, possibilities and constraints of common coding languages and platforms; actual coding experience a plus
- An enthusiasm for iterative prototyping as an essential part of the design process
- Fluency with common design software (InDesign, Illustrator, OmniGraffle, Keynote) for the creation of Interaction Design artifacts and presentations
Thought Leadership Skills:
- Up-to-date knowledge of human interface guidelines, standards, best practices and emerging technologies
- Interest and participation in professional industry groups, conferences, speaking engagements, publications or teaching
- Experience with new business development and growing business with existing clients
- Ability to scope projects and manage projects through all phases, from kick-off through delivery
- Experience managing less senior interaction designers (and visual designers/cross-department staff) on projects
- Experience managing a department, or large account-based team, including personnel management; providing career mentorship, feedback and performance reviews; providing input into resource allocation decisions; and recruiting new talent as needed
Method’s culture is a meritocracy in which small project teams collaborate across multiple departments and, in many cases, across offices and time zones. We seek patient and friendly individuals who are smart, curious and opinionated; individuals who have the ability to proactively develop points of view across categories for an ever-changing product and service development environment. But we also seek those that have the ability to listen, to consider other opinions, and who are able to work well with others. At senior levels, we seek managers who can take direction as well as give it; who can lead projects as well as produce design solutions as needed.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.Apply