- Commitment: Full-time
- Location: San Francisco
- Team: Design
Creative Director (Product and Service Design)
Method is a global design firm. We use branding, design strategy, product and service design to support organizations in delivering value and meaningful experiences to market. From our offices in San Francisco, New York and London, we serve clients – ranging from startups to large organizations – that expect a strategic, collaborative process and end-to-end solutions.
As Creative Director at Method you’ll focus on shaping strategies and design solutions starting from a clear understanding of markets, business and enabling technologies, as well as a profound, empathetic immersion into people’s mindsets, needs and latent expectations. You’ll lead teams in defining interactions that occur at any dimension and scale: from single products or service touch-points, to large, complex services and systems including on- and off-line interactions.
Your project teams are multidisciplinary, comprised of designers with background in branding, research, strategy and business design, interaction design, visual design, industrial design, design technology and product management. They have in common strong empathy for the human condition, critical thinking, business acumen, and love for solving the most meaningful problems through design.
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates product design and system thinking, as well as core interaction design skills across a variety of project categories and products - e.g. websites, software applications, interactive installations, touch/voice/gesture-based interaction models.
- 8-12 years of design experience with at least 5 years in leading a design team.
- Solid academic background in a related field, such as Design, Communication or Psychology, or commensurate work experience; advanced degree is a plus.
Research & Strategy skills:
- Ability to conduct qualitative user research and business stakeholder interviews in order to build insights that shape product strategies and design decisions.
- Expertise in planning and hosting collaborative workshops as well as participatory design and user testing sessions.
- Ability to create brand/experience strategies and conceptual frameworks. Strong experience in building archetypes, personas, user journeys and relevant flowcharts; information architecture and, as a plus, content strategies.
- Familiarity with business model design as well as comparative/competitive analysis and audits.
Service and Interaction Design capabilities
- Expertise in devising and visualizing service interactions (service design blueprints) that involve physical and digital channels.
- Core interaction design capabilities, exhibited in wireframes, documentation, and prototypes.
- Strong ability to think visually and guide visual designers as it pertains to visual language decision and rationale.
- Experience in working with technologists in order to understand the benefits, possibilities and constraints of common coding languages and platforms. Actual coding experience is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of HCI and UX literature, current standards, best practices and emerging technologies.
- Interest and participation in professional industry groups, conferences, speaking engagements, publications or teaching.
- Experience with new business development and growing business with existing clients.
- Ability to scope and manage projects through all phases, from inception through delivery.
- Experience managing a department, or large team, providing career mentorship, feedback and performance reviews, input into resource allocation decisions and recruitment of new talent as needed.
- Eloquent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to successfully articulate design concepts to team and client.
We seek patient and friendly individuals who are smart, curious and opinionated. Individuals who have the ability to be fast learners and develop points of view for a constantly changing product and service development landscape. We seek those that have the ability to listen, to see value in other opinions, and who are able to collaborate respectfully and effectively. At senior level, we look for leaders who can take direction as well as give it; who can lead projects as well as get their hands dirty as needed.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.Apply