Associate Director, Visual Design
- Commitment: Full-time
- Location: London
- Team: Design
Design at Method
Method is an international design firm specialized in creating brand, product and service design experiences. From our offices in New York and London, we serve clients – ranging from start-ups to household brand names – that expect a collaborative, engaging process and end-to-end solutions that are equally smart and beautiful.
Our design team is made up of a diverse set of professionals with backgrounds such as research, strategy, graphic design, industrial design, product development, marketing and technical development. You’ll play a contribute to and inspire these teams, as they tackle complex problems as they invent products and services that change our client’s organizations. What these professionals have in common is empathy for the human condition, love for experimenting with technology, an intense curiosity, a strong aesthetic viewpoint, and a mind for the realities of business.
As an Associate Director of Design, you are responsible for the successful execution of strategic design projects, from framing opportunities with clients, designing and running research, through to workshops, concept development, and prototyping the future of our client’s products and services. Your visual design background gives you a unique lens to use as we investigate our client’s challenges and opportunities, and move into a conceptual space. You’ll help your team and others turn concepts to reality with high-fidelity aesthetics, and lead designers through the craft of design communication.
- An understanding of Brand, Product and Service development process and ability to transform strategic direction into high quality design artifacts from total systems to individual elements
- An understanding of lean design processes
- An understanding of iterative prototyping as an essential part of the design process
- Formal design knowledge and high quality craft skills with attention to detail and ability to deliver effective and functional design artifacts as they pertain to project requirements
- Ability to think strategically and translate brand, service and product requirements into holistic systems that effectively communicate
- Strong ability to think visually and collaborate seamlessly with Interaction Designers it pertains to interaction, behavior, & style discussions
- Strong ability to think technically and collaborate seamlessly with Design Technologists as it pertains to understanding the benefits, possibilities and constraints of common coding languages and platforms
- An ability to lead small (2-4 designer) teams through big problems
- Experience in mentoring and managing the careers of other designers
- Knowledge of prototyping methods and the ability to create new methods
- Fluency with common design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote) for the creation of visual design artifacts and presentations
- Up-to-date knowledge of design principles, best practices and emerging technologies
- Interest and participation in professional industry groups, conferences, speaking engagements, publications or teaching
Research & Strategy Skills
- Ability to understand business strategies, user research, market context
- Ability to interpret, translate and extend existing brand, product and service guidelines in the context of developing new experiences
- Experience planning and hosting collaborative workshops and work sessions with internal and external teams
- Ability to conduct market research and brand, product, service audits focused on the visual design systems and their application to corporate, service and product identities
- Ability to contribute to strategic content for brand, service and product propositions working with strategy, interaction and technology team members
- Ability to create visual language concepts, mood definition, behaviors, early design routes and presentation materials that articulate strategic design intent
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates your graphic design thinking and core craft skills across a variety of client categories and design formats & methodologies, e.g. brand identity systems, print, illustration, motion design, digital interface design for products, websites, mobile, tablet and TV.
- 5-7 years prior work experience in a related role with at least 1 year of management experience
- Solid formal academic background in Graphic Design, Digital Media Design, Communication Design, or commensurate work experience; advanced degree a plus
- Eloquent verbal/written communication & presentation skills, with the ability to successfully articulate design concepts to your team and your client
- Effective time management skills to balance project schedule with fast-paced deadlines
- Enthusiasm for the digital design industry & technology at large
The people that thrive at Method are curious, empathetic, rigorous, experimental and appreciate a holistic way of solving design problems in collaborative teams through rapid prototyping. Method’s culture is a meritocracy in which small project teams collaborate across multiple departments and, in many cases, across offices and time zones. We seek patient and friendly individuals who are smart, curious and opinionated; individuals who have the ability to proactively develop points of view across categories for an ever-changing product and service development environment. But we also seek those that have the ability to listen, to consider other opinions, and who are able to work well with others.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.Apply